Sunday, August 14, 2011

For all people who have competed or full contact spar: Do injuries in martial arts concern you?

As a amateur MMA trainer I am always concerned and cautious and expect my team's members to be just as watchful when it comes to accidents. However, my team's members do use their compression shorts, cups, mouth guards and hand wraps even during sparring times. We have had quite a few injuries during sparring even with the protective equipment. The main focus in my team is "control" and I mean "self-control". When my students are fighting either on a mat or in a $189.00 per month cost practice cage I still keep them focused controlling the severity of their strikes against one another. Even though some times they can get a little carried away we all still verbally call each other on "harder than normal impacts". The balance can be hard sometimes especially looking to dominate even in sparring, but my students do pretty well because of the fact that we stay concerned about "non-compeition injuries". We've had a few twisted knees and ankles and things of that nature, but nothing as major as broken bones ... knock on wood. It's a good thing that we have our own team nurse who is a "registered nurse" ( my wife ) if anything should ever go too wrong during any sparring time we get with one another. I think MMA teams and some more extreme type dojos should have a great knowledge in "sports medicine" and you'd think they'd make this one of their own key aspects as far as the coaching staff or instructor staff at a dojo goes. Saftey should always be a major concern among any type of a more extreme dojo or a MMA team especially where "sports medicine" should be "common knowledge" among such staff members. Safety concerns should always be first and foremost..... they are among my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment